Friday, May 7, 2010

Ad Deconstruction



When I was younger I ate almost anything for breakfast, but as I got older I grew picky about what I wanted to eat. Most breakfast foods didn't sound appetizing, and most cereals were loaded with sugar and very unhealthy, and the ones that were healthy, rarely tasted good. I knew I needed to eat something in the mornings, but there was nothing that seemed good to eat, and I didn't want to eat too many unhealthy foods.
I saw the Special K commercials on TV, and saw how they promoted how good their cereals and other products tasted, and how healthy they were. Eating good tasting cereals and snacks, and losing weight? Sounds great to me.

ASSOCIATION: Anyone, generally women, seeing this commercial, would be attracted to, because it is associated with staying healthy, staying fit, and losing weight. With this product, it seems like you could do all of that, just by eating a bite of the great tasting food.

BRIBERY: If you eat this product, you can lose weight and stay healthy.

EXPERTS: None shown in the commercial

PLAIN FOLKS: It shows a regular, or plain, looking woman, that could depict anyone watching that commercial. If she can resist cravings and eat something healthy instead, so can we.

REPETITION: "The Difference is K" is one of the catch phrases of Special K cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment